Website University of Cape Town
Donor funding has created the possibility of appointing an Administrative Officer on a T2 full-time three-year fixed term PASS contract, renewable subject to the availability of funding. The HUMA Administrative Officer reports to the Director of HUMA. The Administrative Officer is responsible for overall administration of HUMA and management of general day-to-day activities of the Institute. This includes primary responsibilities for financial administration, expenditure and budgeting, human resources, and general operations such as communications, events, documentation and records; as well as executive assistance to the Director.
- Oversee all expenditures in HUMA and externally funded HUMA projects and programmes.
- Work with the Director to prepare budgets and annual financial reports.
- Manage the overall administration of HUMA including the supervision of junior administrators and project assistants.
- Maintain administrative and finance oversight of HUMA staff and financial administration at HUMA and at partner universities and research centres.
- Take responsibility for tracking HUMA developments related to general administration, finance, human resources and communications.
- Keep the Director apprised of progress and issues and recommend actions.
- Maintain currency of all HUMA records, including minutes of HUMA team, boards, committees and other project meetings.
- Provide human resources guidance to HUMA staff, students, postdocs and visitors.
- Good organization skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Experience working in humanities/research/development /international student exchange sectors, in a research setting.
- Experience working in an inter/transdisciplinary research context.
- Training and interests in the humanities.
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Knowledge of SAP, MS Office, administrative and finance systems • Some understanding of higher education structures and policy
- Experience in purchasing and procurement.
- Computer literacy intermediate proficiency in Word and Excel (should be proficient in using excel formulae) and working knowledge of email.
Qualification & Experience:
- A relevant tertiary qualification.
- Research finance and administrative management experience
- Experience in budget planning, grant administration and reporting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- At least 3 years relevant experience in a research or higher education environment.
- Proposal writing, project management and/or team coordination
Company: University of Cape Town
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A