About the job
Main purpose of the job:
The ER Specialist is responsible for co-ordinating, implementing and supporting Employee Relations initiatives that enables an environment of high engagement and fostering of good working relationships between management, union and employees.
Education and experience:
- 3 year Degree / Diploma in Social Sciences (majoring in Industrial Relations)
- Minimum of 3 years experience as Labour Relations specialist
- A track record of co-ordinating and supporting employee relations initiatives within a working environment
Core Skills & Knowledge:
- Planning and organising
- Analysing and diagnosing numerical information
- Building co-operation and collaboration
- Developing relationships
- Decision- making skills
- Clerical Administrative functions
- Checking / Attention to detail
- Influencing skills
- Take initiative / be assertive
- Emotional Intelligence
- Conflict Handling Skills
Key Performance Areas
ER Intervention Co-ordination & Execution
- Have a good understanding and ability to apply principles with regards Labour Law legislative requirements (including Labour Relations Act / Basic Conditions of Employment) within the business unit
- Partner with the business to identify ER related trends and challenges within the operation
- Mediate any issues of conflict that may have been escalated due to differences between management; union and employees
- Educate line managers and all employees within BU regarding ER Policies and procedures to ensure understanding and compliance with new legislation
- Track processes and documentation around various ER processes and interventions for recording purposes and future reference
- Make recommendations to facilitate the resolution of issues
- Be a change agent and communicate on change plans with regards policies and processes within the organisation.
- Proactively “feels the pulse” of the Business unit and actively engages with operational teams on changes taking place
- Providing feedback to ER Management with regards feelings on the floor
ER Case Management
- Partners with operations to co-ordinate disciplinary and grievance processes and logistics
- Advises management and employees on ER processes (disciplinary hearings; conditions of employment; grievances; union relationships; employee relationships)
- Monitor disciplinary and grievances issues within the business unit and ensure due process is followed and management representation during all disciplinary and dispute resolution processes
- Monitor case progress and results across the operation and support both employees and line managers with answering queries, challenges, etc.
- Preparation of case evidence and preparation for disciplinary processes at the CCMA
- Represent the company at the CCMA for all business unit related cases
- Ensure effective tracking and reporting of all ER cases within the HR management system
ER Analytics & Reporting
- Conduct analyses and provide reports on ER processes such disciplinary hearings; outcomes; progress on ER cases; investigations around conditions of employment.
- Identify trends and risks and escalate areas of concerns with recommendations of solutions to be actioned
- Track unit’s compliance against labour legislative requirements and conditions of employment
- Investigate areas of concern and make recommendations to reduce risks within the unit.
- Follow-up to ensure issues are resolved.
- Represent the company in all communication and meetings with union officials and shop stewards at a business unit level
- Participate in management / union meetings and assist with taking minutes and keeping records and action plans of regular interaction between management and shop stewards within the business unit
- Liaise and correspond with CCMA on logistical plans around cases
- Facilitate communication, training and awareness campaigns on ER processes, and diversity matters across the business unit as per identified needs (gaps and opportunities)
- Facilitates communication among employees and management by providing guidance and consultation regarding problem solving, dispute resolution, regulatory compliance, litigation avoidance and strives to resolve internal conflict informally through appropriate conflict management and mediation techniques
- Escalates non-conformance issues or outstanding information with relevant functional managers
Preference will be given to employees from the designated groups in line with the provisions of the Employment Equity Act, No. 55 of 1998, SISA internal recruitment policy as well as units employment equity plans.
• Please note that when applying for any position, reference checks will be completed and personal information as defined in the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 will be processed. In applying for this position, applicants will be deemed to have consented to such processing as defined in the included Privacy Statement.
• Please also note that if you have not been contacted within 1 month after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.