Website Stellenbosch University
About the job
Your time is now to be your exceptional best at Old Mutual!
Old Mutual’s longstanding history and unquestionable success in the financial services industry, provides a solid foundation for expansion of its digital platform. In support of this, the Data and Enterprise Services is a dynamic team within the Digital and Data division. We seek to create seamless and personalized experiences for our 13 million customers globally. Its core purpose is to design, implement and support key datasets that provides structured and timely access to actionable business information whilst championing the needs of the customer always. The Digital & Data team applies customer-focused design thinking, data management, cloud engineering, agile and lean development methodologies, and continuous delivery practices in its deliveries.
This team’s primary focus is to build and establish the data platform and master data management capabilities by applying industry knowledge, best practices and innovative ideas to take Old Mutual into the future through the use of best of breed technologies and applied thinking and processes on its strategic journey to the cloud.
To complement the existing cross-functional team, Old Mutual is looking for a Senior Lead Data Engineer who will design and implement scalable and robust processes to support the data engineering capability. This role will be responsible for implementing and supporting large-scale data ecosystems across the Group. This thought leader will use best practices in cloud engineering, data management and data storage to continue our drive to optimize the way that data is stored, consumed and ultimately democratized. The incumbent will also collaborate with stakeholders across the organisation with use of the Data Engineering practices to facilitate the improvement in the way that data is stored and consumed.
- Design and implement scalable and robust processes for ingesting and transforming complex datasets.
- Designs, develops, constructs, maintains and supports data pipelines for ETL from a multitude of sources.
- Creates blueprints for data management systems to centralize, protect, and maintain data sources.
- Focused on data stewardship and curation, the data engineer enables the data scientist to run their models and analyses to achieve the desired business outcomes
- Ingest large, complex data sets that meet functional and non-functional requirements.
- Enable the business to solve the problem of working with large volumes of data in diverse formats, and in doing so, enable innovative solutions.
- Design and build bulk and delta data lift patterns for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data.
- Ensure that all data solutions support the organisation’s cloud strategy and aligns to the data architecture and governance including implementation of these data governance practices.
- Engineer data in the appropriate formats for downstream customers, risk and product analytics or enterprise applications.
- Development of API’s for returning data to Enterprise Applications.
- Identify, design and implement robust process improvement activities to drive efficiency and automation for greater scalability. This includes looking at new solutions and new ways of working and being on the forefront of emerging technologies.
- Work with various stakeholders across the organisation to understand data requirements and apply deep technical knowledge of data management to solve key business problems.
- Provide specialised support in the operational environment with all relevant support teams for data services.
- Effective management of demand across the various data streams and use cases.
- Create and maintain functional requirements, system process and system specifications in support of data architecture and detailed design specifications for current and future designs.
- Support test and deployment of new services and features.
- Provides technical leadership to a team of intermediate and junior data engineers, and Quality Assurance engineers.
- Ensure robust collaboration and alignment with Group Solution, Data and Security Architects and manages engagement with business stakeholders effectively.
Role & Qualifications Requirements
- Matric, with a degree in Computer Science, Business Informatics, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or Engineering.
- 5+ years of data engineering experience
- 5+ years of experience with any data warehouse technical architectures, ETL/ELT, and reporting/analytics tools including , but not limited to , any of the following combinations (1) SSIS and SSRS, (2) ETL Frameworks, (3) Data conformance, (4) Caching, (5) Spark (6) AWS data builds
- The candidate having DBA ability and knowledge across at least 2 platforms (example: TSQL, SAS, PSQL, IBM VSAM, DynamoDB and DB2) will also be beneficial.
- Tends towards Full-Stack engineer with experience across a broad spectrum of technology domains, technologies and Engineering practices
- Highly Proficient in at least one of Python, Java, C/C++ or similar
- Should be Proficient in bash/ksh, perl, SQL
- Experience with R, AWS, XML, json, cron
- Experience with designing and implementing Cloud (AWS) solutions including full use of all APIs available.
- Experience with Dev/OPS architecture, implementation and operation.
- Knowledge of Engineering and Operational Excellence using standard methodologies. Best practices in software engineering, data management, data storage, data computing and distributed systems to solve business problems with data.
- Experience in applying SAFe/Scrum/Kanban methodologies.
- Knowledge and understanding of business process management lifecycle which covers the design, modelling, execution, monitoring, and optimization as well as business process re-engineering.
- Strong problem solving skills demonstrating the ability to exercise judgment in solving technical, operational, and organizational challenges.
- Identify issues proactively and present solutions and options leading to a stable and resilient resolution.
- Expert programming, performance tuning and troubleshooting skills, using the latest popular programming languages such as python, scala, java and suite of Microsoft languages C# and F# preferable.
- Collaboration and precise communication
- Establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with stakeholders across all levels
- Strategic thinking
- Leading with Influence
- Innovating and being curious about technology
- Quality in execution and outcomes
- Customer First attitude
- Personal Mastery (Learning)
- Problem Solving
- Data Management
- Working with ambiguity
- Working independently and within a team
“Old Mutual Limited has decided to adopt the mandatory vaccination policy requiring its workforce to be fully vaccinated by 1 March 2022.
All prospective employees are required to disclose their vaccination certificates or cards as part of the recruitment process.”