Website Stellenbosch University
About the job
Your time is now to be your exceptional best at Old Mutual!
The role has responsibility for the delivery of audits in the enabling functions (finance, actuarial, tax, governance, risk) within Old Mutual Limited (OML).
This role will support the Audit Lead in executing on audits and managing stakeholder relationships.
Key Result Areas / Outputs
Delivery of Services
- Contribute to the development of the portfolio/s audit plan including the update and maintenance of the audit universe and identification of emerging risks;
- Execute and deliver the audit plan and management requests timeously;
- Contribute towards the Combined Assurance Plans for the relevant portfolios;
- Understand the business, its functions, products and risk profile
- Understand the regulatory environment and key legislation impacting the business
- Develops process understanding
- Prepare risk and control matrices and perform control design and effectiveness assessments
- Prepares audit planning memorandum and letter of intent.
- Deliver audit assignments on time, within budget and in accordance with GIA methodology and in line with agreed quality standards;
- Implement data analytic and audit automation techniques across the portfolio;
- Delivery of impactful audit reports with well thought out management actions and due dates;
- Facilitate the agreement of audit findings and ratings with the relevant stakeholders;
- Identify areas for continuous controls/risk monitoring, utilizing data analytic techniques, as well as audit automation opportunities and facilitate the implementation of these;
- Analyse root causes of issues identified and make recommendation to management to improve the control environment;
- Execute on the issues assurance plan and ensure it is executed timeously and within quality standards.
- Support the Audit Manager/Lead with file administration activities
- Support the Audit Manager/Lead in managing stakeholder engagement and relationships at the appropriate level
- Manage the portfolio GIA stats process and monthly reporting process by engaging line 1 and line 2; and
- Comply with IIA Code of Ethics and GIA Policies and Procedures.
- Contribute to a positive, professional and caring culture with GIA; and support activities and initiatives focusing on the development of expertise.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
Qualifications & Professional Affiliations
- Relevant 3-year Diploma, University Degree
- Post graduate qualification
- Studying towards a professional qualification CA (SA), CIA etc.
- Professional Qualification CA (SA), CIA, CFA would be advantageous.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience in auditing
- Good background in the financial services / insurance industry
- Knowledge of the life insurance environment
- Knowledge of finance processes and financial reporting requirements (e.g. IFRS17) within insurance
- Knowledge of SA life and pensions products and industry
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment for the SA life insurance industry
- Good understanding of the business management processes, risks and controls
- Good accounting knowledge and application of accounting principles
- Experience of client relationship management as part of the audit process
- Proven technical knowledge that is demonstrated in application to specific situations
- Understanding and application of the risk management and governance frameworks
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Able to travel locally and internationally
- Proven track record in dealing with audit clients
- Uses Microsoft Word and Excel effectively
- Professional and positive attitude. Strong interpersonal skills (communication, negotiation, presentation and conflict handling)
- Strong analytical skills
- Deadline-orientated and client centric
- Ability to interact with client staff and management across various functions and seniority
- Enjoys working in a team environment with a participative management style and believes and participates in the development of people
- Driven to deliver real value and quality service to a demanding and diverse client base
- High standards of performance for self and others
- Confident in own abilities and operate independently
- Adaptable to changes in work tasks or environment
- Able to initiate action to accomplish objectives
The appointment will be made from the designated group in line with the Employment Equity Plan of Old Mutual South Africa and the specific business unit in question.
13 March 2023
Old Mutual Limited is pro-vaccination and encourages its workforce to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
All prospective employees are required to disclose their vaccination status as part of the recruitment process.
Please refer to the Old Mutual’s Covid-19 vaccination policy for further detail. Kindly note that Old Mutual reserves the right to reinstate the requirement to vaccinate at any point if it is of the view that it is imperative to do so.