Sappi Saiccor Mill requires a Process Technician to be responsible, as a part of the production team, for the day to day monitoring of production processes and to be responsible for monitoring adherence to control standards, reviewing open alarms and basic analysis of production problems.
- Conduct basic root cause analysis by participating in multi-disciplinary teams. Review recurring alarms, conduct basic investigations and develop recommendations for controllers and superintendents to implement.
- Highlight day to day existing controls that are not working as intended as part of process engineering activities on request.
- Review high level designs produced by process engineers and provide input on the practicality of the designs and add insight into the reality of the day to day production environment. Gather input from production staff if required. Contribute to detailed designs on request from process engineers.
- Monitor day to day adherence to environmental standards for the section and resolve basic issues with the production teams. Escalate all significant issues to the process engineer.
- Process monitoring – on a daily basis, conduct process audits on the assigned section of the plant to monitor compliance to the designed process. Highlight deviations to the shift teams and to the process engineer responsible for the area.
- Obtain an understanding of the new processes in order to participate in the simulations or live testing. Provide feedback to process engineers based on the parameters they require.
- Maintain process standards documentation based on the direction received from process engineers. Support teams in the plan to understand the process requirements and the impacts of their actions.
- Ensure that the start-up, shut-down, Best Operating Practices and operating manuals are up-to-date for the plant or section. Support foremen and shift superintendents with their process of continuously upskilling their teams by providing documents for toolbox talks and other team briefings.
Qualification & Experience:
- National Diploma in Chemical Engineering or Pulp and Paper Processing
- In compliance with the Department of Employment and Labour’s directive of 11 June 2021, Sappi’s risk assessment has identified this role as requiring mandatory Covid-19 vaccination as an inherent requirement of the job.
- 3-5 years process experience in a manufacturing environment
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Umkomaas, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A