Sappi Forests requires a Management Forester to plan, execute & achieve the operational estate management, harvesting objectives & targets for fibre production within resource & SHEQ parameters to ensure a sustainable and low-cost fibre supply to Sappi mills and external customers
- Build, maintain and reinforce a “predict and prevent” safety culture in all integrated operations
- Ensure integrated risk assessments address safety, health, environmental, production and social risk in a proactive manner
- Inspect operations regularly to identify risks & ensure that timeous action (blanking & pest control, coppice management) is undertaken.
- Plan & conduct regular field inspections to ensure that crops, through the timing of operations (weed control, pest & disease management), achieve maximum yields within cost constraints.
- Ensure that plantations use the Fire Risk Management System (FRMS) to identify risks. Record & implement fire control procedures in order to ensure the effective protection of people, plantations and other assets from forest fires.
- Develop a tactical plan & ensure that the annual plan of operations for both commercial and open areas complies with standards and service level agreements
- Ensure daily production targets are managed effectively in order to ensure that the target tons/per day are achieved.
- Develop a pre-harvest plan per compartment in collaboration with the Contractor and Silviculture.
- Conduct a risk assessment per compartment in order to mitigate potential risks.
- Conduct interim inspections to monitor and ensure adherence to safety and mill quality specifications.
- Ensure that the Harvesting budget is managed effectively by ensuring sales target tons/per day is achieved.
- Identify and ensure road & depot/sidings maintenance plans are communicated and implemented effectively.
- Compile in conjunction with Roads Engineer, annual tactical road maintenance plan.
- Ensure that road maintenance expenditure remains within budget parameters.
- Communicate with Logistics in order to ensure optimum delivery planning is implemented.
- Scheduling of short-haul and loading operations to ensure rail/road transport is released on time.
Qualification & Experience:
- National Diploma in Forestry or related qualification
- Minimum of three years relevant experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Mbombela, Mpumalanga, SA
Application Deadline: N/A