About the job
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
Senior Technologist: Diagnostic and Internet-of-Things Device Design and Development
About The Job
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Senior Technologist in the Nano-Micro Manufacturing Facility (NMMF) within the Chemicals Cluster. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring that the facility has functioning systems to develop own micro-fluidic devices and assist researchers and project managers to achieve their technical deliverables on projects. This position is based in Pretoria.
For more information about the facility and the cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/nanomaterials-industry-development-facility and https://www.csir.co.za/future-production-chemicals respectively.
- Develop practical approaches to device manufacture including designs, prototype and testing;
- Lead research projects in diagnostic device fabrication;
- Interact with industry clients and NMMF users;
- Provide support to researchers and projects with diagnostic and micro-fluidic device fabrication;
- Innovate and assist with lab-on-Chip (LOC) design manufacture and prototype assembly, which includes LOC to injection mould transfer, electro-chemical device development, assembly and lateral flow test manufacture;
- Conduct own experimental and development work in the laboratory;
- Generate concepts through internet searches, idea generation and conceptualisation;
- Oversee the use of the facility equipment such as 3D printing, laser cutting, Bio-dot, Dimatix and PDMS system;
- Keep equipment in working order, arrange maintenance and repairs as and when required;
- Ensure availability of laboratory consumables;
- Compile reports and other project related documents and general housekeeping of labs;
- Adhere to safe operation of the work environment.
Qualifications, Skills And Experience
- An Honours degree in mechanical/chemical engineering, electronics, industrial design, biotechnology or related fields with at least five years’ experience in mechanical design and device development;
- A Master’s degree will be advantageous;
- Must have experience in practical design and manufacturing of small devices through casting, forming, 3D printing, laser cutting
- Electronic, optic and software abilities will be advantageous
- Must have experience in prototype device design, fabrication and project management;
- Must have the ability to engage bioengineers and chemical engineers in device development and realisation;
- Must be proficient in micro-fluidics and practical diagnostic or sensing device design and fabrication
- Grasp of all aspects involved in microfluidics and micro-manufacturing;
- Good communication and presentation skills;
- Problem-solving and solution-seeking orientation;
- Goal-oriented approach;
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams;
- Computer literacy and ability to write quality reports and proposals.
Closing date: 10 March 2023
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.For more info, please email us at Recruitment03@csir.co.za please do not applications to this mailbox, it is for enquiries only.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the employment Equity Act and will through the filling of this vacancy, give preference to candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from registered credit bureau and/or South African Police Services (in relation to positions that requires trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances), and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualification and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.