About the job
Your time is now to be your exceptional best at Old Mutual!
The My Old Mutual team is a dynamic division within Old Mutual Limited, which seeks to drive digital engagement with customers by being at the forefront of digital development and innovation. Old Mutual’s longstanding history and unquestionable success in the financial industry, provide a solid foundation for expansion of its digital platform. The Digital & Data team applies customer-focused design thinking, agile and lean development methodologies, and continuous delivery practices.
The Tech Lead API Developer leads the development of high-quality designs and solutions. This role requires participation in technical designs and the development and maintenance of software and other digital applications or services. The incumbent will be expected to create prototypes, develop user-centred software, and advise on technical specifications. This role requires fundamentals in engineering practices, an analytical and data-driven approach to problem solving, while following the DevOps, SRE and Cloud Based practices.
- Develop technical specifications and software application architecture and designs
- Create and test software prototypes
- Follow Agile methodologies (SCRUM / Kanban)
- Work in a DEVOPS culture
- Design and implement test strategy and/or test plans.
- Provide sizing and scoping for development work required
- Operate as a subject matter expert across program initiatives
- Responsible for the software development life cycle, taking the lead on software development projects
- Apply engineering principles for design, development, maintenance, testing and evaluation of software
- Management of development tasks
- Facilitate code design and code reviews
- Ensure that software development tasks are well coordinated
- Apply knowledge relating to the Architecture of relevant systems
- Develop and improve the tools to enable software development
- Balance trade-offs between design and implementation
- Identify issues that will enhance system quality, development, and standard operating procedures
- Client engagement to drive new products/ features and to ensure operational excellence
- Work closely with multi-skilled and cross-functional teams e.g., architects, developers, UX designers, business analysts
- Drive technology design and implementation
- Enable rapid iteration
- Draft technical specifications
- Monitor application performance
- Operational support for product issues raised to the development team
- Ensure systems are scalable, responsive, robust, and secure
Experience & QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Matric, with a degree in Computer Science/ Engineering/ Mathematics or related
- 5+ years of experience in API development
- 3+ years of experience in leading application development
- Knowledge and experience in technologies such as:
- Containerisation: Kubernetes, Docker
- CI/CD – Jenkins, AWS Code Commit
- AWS (preferred) or another cloud provider such as AZURE or Google Cloud Platform
- Confluence, Jira
- Microsoft Teams, Slack
- IaC: Terraform/Cloudformation
- .Netcore/ Kotlin/Java
- Performance testing (Locust/Jmeter/Gatling etc.)
- Contract testing (e.g., Pact, Postman, Neman)
- Familiarity with Architecture and Design: Microservice, Serverless architectures, Event Driven Architecture / API First / Domain driven design
- Familiarity with Test-Driven Development Build cloud based functional APIs at an enterprise level
- Knowledge of coding design patterns
- Customer focus
- Multi-functional team collaboration
- Data-driven and attention to detail and big picture
- Action Oriented
- Continuous Improvement Management
- Problem Finding and Solving
- Conflict management and resolution
- High EQ
Old Mutual Limited has adopted a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy requiring its workforce to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 by 1 April 2022. All prospective employees are required to disclose their vaccination certificates or cards as part of the recruitment process.
If you have an objection to taking the Covid-19 vaccination, you will be required to produce a negative PCR test (at your own cost) on a weekly basis as an alternative to vaccination. Prospective employees must inform the recruiter of their election prior to start date.
Please refer to the Old Mutual policy for further detail. Old Mutual reserves the right to amend this policy from time to time.