About the job
Purpose of the position
The purpose of the role is to assist the financial accounting team with internal control procedures within the financial operations part of the business as well as help prepare for external audits. This includes undertaking preparation of financial schedules and reconciliations reports; help ensure that the control activities are up to date for the current year and are performed consistently going forward.
- Help ensure that financial transactions are accurately reflected in the books of account and comply with applicable financial reporting standards e.g. IFRS, US GAAP, etc.
- Review credit card reconciliations and post the related journals
- Assist with review of weekly bank ledgers
- Assist with accrual journal preparation
- Assist with the audit – in terms of gathering supporting documents
- Assist with preparation or review of the AP reconciliations ensuring completeness of reconciliations for all vendor accounts and that they are signed-off each month.
- Review of fixed asset register and posting of depreciation journal
- Assist with intercompany and inter-branch invoicing.
- Assist with reconciling all balance sheet accounts following the checklists designed by Financial Accountants
- Assist with monthly accruals reconciliation preparation
- Prepare general journals as requested by the Financial Accountants and post them after review.
- Assist with preparation of audit working papers for year-end audit including financial statements, trial balances and supporting schedules.
- Assist in preparing audit schedules per guidance from Financial Accountants
- Assist the Financial Accounts with processing audit adjustments
- Bachelors’ degree in finance/accounting or related field or similar qualification
- Completed 3 years articles at a reputable audit firm
- Completed or studying towards a professional accounting qualification e.g. PA(SA).
- Chartered accountant i.e. CA(SA), CPA, ACCA, CIMA, etc.
Experience & Skills
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a similar role in a medium to large matrixed environment
- Experience in multi-currency, multi-company, and multi-jurisdictional accounting
- Experience with Software and/or consulting business added advantage.
- Demonstrable experience preparing audit files.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others within the larger finance organization and take appropriate action when required
- Experience in end to end accounting processes
- Ability to communicate effectively regarding finance processes to non-finance staff
- Demonstrable ability to meet deadlines and go the extra mile to achieve set deadlines
- In-depth knowledge of accounting theory as well as best practices in accounting coupled with ability to give constructive input into financial accounting policies and procedures
- Excellent computer skills and exposure to accounting packages
- Sound understanding of the role of finance team as a support and service department
- Ability to communicate BroadReach’s core values such to the finance team
Personal Qualities & Behavioural Competencies
- The ability to communicate directly, persuasively and effectively with others in business
- The ability to prioritize and plan a challenging workload and to meet tight reporting deadlines
- Ability to work systematically while juggling conflicting priorities
- The appetite to work across all facets of financial accounting and develop/enhance skills
- Collaborative nature of working across different teams
- High levels of ethics and morale judgement
- Be solution focused and service oriented
- Ability to build rapport and credibility with peers, superiors and other stakeholders
Winning, Enabling and Delivery of Projects
- Organized, Disciplined, Analytical
People Leadership/Self Leadership
- Selections, Development, Delegation, Example, Self-Confidence, Independently responsible, Curiosity, Change Management
Strategic and Holistic Decision Making
- Governance and legal awareness, Financial acumen, Risk management, Strategic perspective
- Institutional Representations, Taking the long view, Building common ground, Mutual respect, Responsiveness, Standing for the other, Engagement