Website Mr Price Group
About the job
Takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Senior Software Engineer (iOS) to join our team.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper-growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us!
Think you’ve been challenged before? Think again!
- Scale: Over 2.5 million happy shoppers shop online on takealot.com. Show them what you can do.
- Learn: We work with the best of the best, and then some. Code alongside industry leaders and upskill in record time.
- Grow: Expand your career in the fast-growing Takealot Group: takealot.com, Superbalist.com, and Mr D. We like to promote from within: Here’s your chance.
What does the Storefront iOS Engineering team do?
The Storefront iOS team is responsible for the engineering of the entire customer-facing native iOS Takealot shopping app in Swift. The Takealot Shopping app has hundreds of thousands of monthly active users with a 4.8+ Apple app store rating. We follow a product based engineering approach where we service high impact business needs by developing exciting and far reaching features. We pride ourselves in ensuring our engineering approach aligns with industry best practice.
Who’s who in the tech space
This position reports to the Mobile Engineering Manager.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
- Help design, develop and refine new features
- Locate and resolve bugs and crashes
- Brainstorm new ideas and concepts
- Work with teammates on design, code reviews, and estimation
We expect you to:
- Be accountable
- And take pride in your work
The skills we need
- Solutions-oriented, can-do attitude, and high energy
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, using data to inform decisions
- Ability to dis-aggregate and structure solutions to ambiguous problems
- Solid quantitative skills
- Ability to interview and interact professionally, with internal and external people
- Capability to present ideas succinctly, in writing and verbally
- Versatile and with the appetite to learn by doing
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Advanced Diploma in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in native iOS
- In the event that you do not have a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Diploma (Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering), an equivalent experience requirement must be met, which equates to a minimum of 8 years’ of Software Development experience
- Strong Computer Science and programming fundamentals
- Experience developing applications with iOS SDK using Swift, for both iPad and iPhone
- Full understanding of the iOS application, ViewController, TableView, and CollectionView life cycles.
- Appreciation of iOS-specific asynchronous processing techniques.
- Experience with using Storyboards, Interface Builder, and auto and adaptive layouts for universal apps with differing screen sizes.
- Objective C development experience
- Experience working with unit test frameworks
- Experience with network requests to RESTful APIs using best practices and well-known libraries (Alamofire etc)
- Knowledge and Appreciation of iOS user experience design patterns.
- Experience developing eCommerce apps for retail
- Experience working with software development tools including Git, Jira, and Confluence.
- Experience with writing UI Automation scripts using Robot Framework
- Any experience with Android
Let’s talk about life @ Takealot Group
- The power is in your hands: We offer a market-related, Total Remuneration Package that allows full flexibility according to your needs. Go on, be the master of your own destiny.
- No doors: We aren’t fans of stuffy offices or siloed work environments. See someone you like? High five, collab and make something great.
- Remote working: Love water cooler chats and working from home? Takealot Engineering offers fully remote working (in South Africa) with the option to go into Office if you happen to live close to one.
- Mentorship programme: We aren’t kidding when we say the people with the best people win. Now’s your chance to be one of the best, by learning from the best.
- Naspers Tech Community & Online Learning: Share ideas and grow with global industry leaders who are all just a Slack message away. Love to learn? Up-skill with free access to courses on MyAcademy, Udacity, Coursera and more.
- Good times: Get to know the other extraordinary minds at takealot.com during regular social events and out-of-office activities (think hikes, think mini-golf, think good times).
- Staff discount. Millions of products across 28 departments. What more could you ask for?
- Birthday leave: Cake Day all the way. Enjoy your day off – you deserve it.
- Right tools, right job: Mac or Windows, two monitors or one. Whatever your preference, you’ll work on the latest tech, off the latest tech.
- Help when you need it most: Confidential counseling, legal support and financial guidance, for free, anytime, anywhere.
- Tech stack (for days): ReactJS, Python, Scala, Kotlin, Swift, Google Cloud, Kafka, Redis, Kubernetes and all things machine learning. If you build it, they will come.
Like what you see?
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind. Apply today!!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.