About the job
Purpose of the position
The Paediatric Nurse Mentor’s primary responsibility is to support Paediatrics/Adolescent HIV and PMTCT Programs implementation and reporting activities across the district. The Paediatric Nurse Mentor is expected to collaborate very closely with the Cluster Team Leads (CTL) and Primary Health Care Area Manager (PHCAMs) across all clusters in the district to ensure Paediatric HIV and PMTCT activities across the cascade are implemented with fidelity and reported into the district data for onward reporting to NDoH and USAID.
The Paediatric Nurse Mentor will work with PHCAMs, CTLs, Professional Nurses, testers and data capturers in all facilities providing Paediatrics/Adolescent HIV and PMTCT services and reporting, with oversight guidance from the Paediatric Clinical Specialist.
In your role as Paediatric Nurse Mentor, you will:
- Work across all district teams to ensure that Paediatrics/Adolescent HIV and PMTCT activities are implemented as per the workplan.
- Monitor district Paediatrics/Adolescent performance indicators against targets across all supported facilities with a focus on facilities with largest gap in performance.
- Monitor PMTCT performance against target with a focus on facilities with outlier performance and provide support directed by gaps identified.
- Support the implementation of all key Paediatrics/Adolescent HIV and PMTCT program areas including case finding, linkage to care, KidzAlive/Disclosure services, ARV optimisation, MMSD, Decanting, viral load completion and suppression.
- Conduct site support visits to underperforming facilities and provide TA support.
- Conduct file audits for Paediatrics/ Adolescent HIV and PMTCT.
- Identify key program gaps and develop improvement plans to address gaps identified.
- Liaise with the CTLs and PHCAMs to provide targeted interventions to underperforming facilities.
- Train and mentor clinicians on key Paediatrics/Adolescent HIV and PMTCT Program areas.
- Establish, implement and monitor Paediatric/Adolescent Care Days in collaboration with multidisciplinary teams in selected high-volume facilities.
- Establish, facilitate and/or monitor close collaborations between BroadReach, DoH and OVC Partners within the district and facilities.
- Support District and Subdistrict nerve centre meetings to address priority Paediatric/PMTCT program gaps.
- Any other role assigned by your manager within reason of your scope of work.
- Professional Nurse with SANC membership with a minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Primary Health Care Diploma
- NIMART/CMART trained
- IMCI training and certificate
- Post graduate diploma in Child Nursing (Paediatric Nurse Specialist)
Experience & Skills
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience and knowledge of public health facilities
- Minimum of 3 years’ work experience in PHC setting in Paediatric HIV care and treatment
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working on USAID/PEPFAR funded programmes
- Teaching, training or mentoring experience is a must
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of computer applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Valid Driver’s License and own vehicle
Personal qualities & Behavioural competencies
- Problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Ability to connect the dots, make linkages and collaboratively work across the organization to optimize the client experience
- Be solution focused
- Results orientation
Winning, Enabling and Delivery of Projects
- Opportunity Development, Capture Management, Proposal Development, Organized, Disciplined, Analytical
People Leadership/Self Leadership
- Selections, Development, Delegation, Example, Self-Confidence, Independently responsible, Curiosity, Change Management
Strategic and Holistic Decision Making
- Governance and legal awareness, Financial acumen, Risk management, Strategic perspective
- Institutional Representations, Taking the long view, Building common ground, Mutual respect, Responsiveness, Standing for the other, Engagement