Collects blood and other specimens for clinical analysis, evaluation and or diagnostic purposes. Performs Point of care analysis of samples.
- Ensures that bio-hazardous waste is disposed of in the correct manner to comply with relevant safety protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Keeps record of specimens collected and ensures that all patient details and clinical information is accurately recorded.
- Observes the physical condition of patients during blood taking ensure the safety and comfort of patients/clients.
- Influence adoption of POC system.
- Monitor stock levels of all materials, including venesection “bleeding” bags and orders additional stock ensuring the availability of required materials at all times.
- Draws blood and collects non-blood specimens from patients/clients at various locations, using the correct and sterile equipment in a manner that will yield the best results. This may include the use of Point of Care Testing instruments.
- Bagging samples that are not performed at POC and ship to laboratories.
- Conduct troubleshooting, preventative and reactive maintenance of POC devices.
- Ensures dispatching of specimens for processing in accordance with prescribed standard operating procedures and monitors progress and filing of reports, including handling queries and report delivery in line with prescribed turn around requirements.
- Monitor Turnaround time and follow up of on send away tests to the Lab.
- Understand the legislative framework, including key partners such as Department of Health, SANC, Department of Education, Department of
- Employment and Labour, OHSC and all other relevant
- Knowledge of health-related policies, procedures and legislation.
- An intermediate to advanced level of computer literacy and proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Superior interpersonal skills (developing and maintaining positive relationships; communicating clearly and effectively with people at all levels with verbal and nonverbal communication; working with others to identify, define and solve problems).
- Knowledge of trends and developments in the health care industry and as related to nursing.
- Ability to function independently.
- Ability to get others to enthusiastically support changes and own the change.
Qualification & Experience:
- Relevant working experience performing phlebotomy is advantageous.
- Proficient use of technology in the healthcare environment.
- HIV Counselling training would be advantageous
- Proven report writing skills.
- SANC Registration – Registered Nurse
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Alberton, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A