Website FNB South Africa
About the job
Sappi Ngodwana Mill requires Senior Maintenance Engineer to supply competent and cost-effective maintenance and engineering support, service, advice, solutions, and techniques to maximise plant availability in a safe, and legally compliant manner
This role reports into the Maintenance Manager
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Responsible for all statutory requirements in the section in accordance with the OHS Act.
- Ensure the maintenance team are educated, aware and comply to all SHEQ policies, procedures, best practices, and work instructions.
- Provide guidance to the teams, perform inspections, and maintain records.
- Ensure that work permit requirements are understood by all team members and stringently adhered to.
- Actively guide and monitor the team on the correct isolation and lockout procedures when performing maintenance work.
- Participate in plant safety committee meetings.
- Participate in the development of safe work procedures for the section and perform critical task analyses.
- Perform the targeted number of planned job observations.
- Support ISO9020 (Quality Management System), ISO14001 (Environmental Management Standards), ISO50001 (Energy Management System), ), ISO 55001, (Asset Management System) and OHSAS18000 (Health and Safety Management System) for engineering in the section. Educate the team on the requirements and monitor adherence to standards, policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Ensure compliance of contractors to all SHEQ policies, procedures, best practices, and work instructions by performing walkabouts and inspections as well as checking their safety files.
- Actively drive the use of plant reliability monitoring techniques to ensure proactive maintenance and eliminate unplanned downtime.
- Develop shut plans for monthly, quarterly and annual shuts as required.
- Maintain an incidental shut list of work to be done during short notice opportunities.
- Participate in the commissioning of new and decommissioning of old equipment within the section according to sound engineering practices for all specific engineering disciplines.
- Participate to contract negotiations for engineering contracts as a technical specialist.
- Participate in a 5-year rolling maintenance spend planning process considering normal maintenance spend, Renewal maintenance spend and Maintenance Capital projects.
- Manage capital projects for equipment on time and within budget. These projects may cover any engineering discipline.
- Prepare daily, weekly and monthly maintenance reports using system and qualitative data.
- Provide weekly feedback to the Maintenance Manager on overall plant performance, unresolved engineering problems and cost control.
- Oversee the recruitment, recognition, performance management, remuneration, development and discipline of the section’s maintenance and production teams.
- Take direct responsibility for the development of direct reports.
- Provide on the job coaching to members of the team. Develop their ability to do predictive maintenance and problem solving.
- Develop and manage a section Succession Plan.
The ideal candidate should have:
- BSc/BEng/BTech/Advance Diploma in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with at least 5 to10 years’ experience as an Electrical/ Mechanical Engineer in a heavy industry/manufacturing environment.
- Government Certificate of Competency would be advantageous. (Factories).
- 5 years’ experience managing multidiscipline maintenance teams in a section/area.
- MDP or equivalent would be advantageous.