Website KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health
- Ensure that proper training is provided to junior staff in carrying out their duties and to promote career development.
- Liaise with other Departments, such as, Department of Works, ensuring that the requirements of the institution are met.
- Monitor and record all forms of energy resources consumed at the institution such as electricity, water, fuel and medical gases.
- Compile and co-ordinate maintenance budgets and setting of priorities for maintenance work, including Minor New Work, Repairs and Routine work.
- Set engineering standards specifications and service levels according to organisational objectives to ensure optimum operational availability.
- Monitor and control all maintenance expenditure.
- Be available to be designated as the responsible person at a Tertiary hospital in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Act 85 of 1993) and regulations if so required.
- Management of engineering department and ensure that all engineering plants are functioning effectively through preventative maintenance, monitoring and by ensuring compliance with all regulations.
- Provide a Hospital Engineering Service to the District Managers and the Chief Executive Officer within the District.
- Programme and project management, engineering, legal and operational compliance;
- Sound knowledge of CAD drawing design experience would be an advantage;
- Strategic capability and leadership, problem solving and analysis and decision making skills,
- Engineering operational communication, process knowledge and skills;
- Maintenance skills and knowledge, and mobile equipment operating skills;
- Effective internal and external communicator and knowledge of building structures; Sound knowledge of tender procedures or documents and the evaluation of tenders;
- Engineering design and analysis knowledge, research and development;
- Sound knowledge of all trades and engineering systems installed and used by the Health
Qualification & Experience:
- Compulsory registration with ECSA as a Professional Engineer and a valid driver’s license (Code B/C);
- Proof of working experience in the form of a certificate of service endorsed by Human Resource Management Component/Department.
- Senior Certificate (Standard 10/Grade 12) or equivalent;
- Engineering degree (B Eng/ BSC (Eng) or relevant qualification;
- A Government Certificate of competencies in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (since the installed power of the electricity supply and boilers exceeds 3000kw (OHS
- ACT 1983General Machinery Regulations requires a certificated Electrical or Mechanical Engineer); and
- Three years post qualification experience is required as a Registered Professional Engineer;
Company: KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A