About the job
The City of Cape Town promotes and applies the principles of employment equity. In line with
the City’s corporate employment equity and diversity strategy, equity policy, plan and targets,
preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups.
OFFICE OF THE CITY MANAGER ● LEGAL SERVICES
BASIC SALARY: R453 794 TO R541 164 PER ANNUM
- LLB – Admitted Attorney or admitted Bar Advocate
- Minimum two (2) years’ proven post-admission experience in a legal environment
- Proven legal research and drafting skills, and the ability to communicate and present complex legal information in understandable documents for specific audiences
- Good command of the English language, both written and spoken
- Understanding of PAIA, PAJA and POPIA, and case law relating to constitutional and administrative law, Interpretation of Statutes and other areas of the South African law applicable to the public sector
- Knowledge of corporate governance principles (i.e. King Reports), and Batho Pele principles
- The incumbent may be expected to work overtime and under pressure and must be available in cases of emergencies
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
- A valid driver’s licence.
Key performance areas:
- Promote, ensure and encourage compliance with Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000 (PAIA) in his/her capacity as Deputy Information Officer, by exercising powers and performing functions in terms of the delegation provided for in Section 17 (1) read with sub-section (3) of PAIA
- Promote, ensure and encourage compliance with Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2000 (POPIA), in his/her capacity as Deputy Information Officer, by exercising powers and performing duties and responsibilities of the Information Officer as prescribed in terms of Section 55(1) of POPIA, read with Section 56(b) of POPIA and read with additional responsibilities referred to in Regulation 4(1) of the POPIA Regulations
- Render legal support and advice to the City Line departments on matters related to PAJA
- Ensure that the City discharges its responsibilities in terms of section 5 of PAJA by providing written reasons for administrative action
- Liaise and maintain professional relationship with relevant stakeholders
- Perform any other functions incidental to the main KPAs.
Please apply online at www.capetown.gov.za/careers (external applicants) or via the SAP Portal (internal applicants) unless otherwise stated.
By submitting your application for a position at the City of Cape Town, you are consenting that the personal information submitted as part of your application may be used for the purposes of the Recruitment and Selection process.
Closing date: 10 March 2023
- Please quote the reference number of the vacancy in all communications.
- Certified copies of qualifications must be available on request.
- Copies of supporting documents will not be returned.
- Kindly note that applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
- Visit our website atwww.capetown.gov.za/careers
- No late applications will be considered.
- If no notification of appointment is received within three (3) months of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.