DescriptionAmazon is now offering flexibility to choose among 3 different working models, in-office, hybrid, and virtual. Please, check below further information:
- In Office: Employees will be office based for the majority of their time. Employees on an in-office work pattern will be assigned a desk in an Amazon building. Employees will be required to reside within a commutable distance of the office they are assigned to (Cape Town / Johannesburg).
- Hybrid: Employees will be required to reside within a commutable distance of the office they are assigned to (Cape Town / Johannesburg), but have the flexibility to regularly work from home as well as from the office. Employees on a Hybrid work pattern will be expected to attend at their assigned office a minimum of one day per week. These employees will follow agile seating when in office.
- Virtual Workers: Employees must be based in South Africa, and are not generally required to attend an office facility. If needed, all WFH employees can attend an office for critical trainings, meetings and team-building events. These employees will follow agile seating when in office.
Amazon Web Services is the market leader and technology forerunner in the Cloud business. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology, assisting a global list of companies and developers that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. As a Cloud Support Engineer, you will act as the ‘Cloud Ambassador’ across all the cloud products, arming our customers with required tools & tactics to get the most out of their Product and Support investment.
Would you like to use the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have an interest in helping customers understand application architectures and integration approaches? Are you familiar with best practices for applications, servers and networks? Do you want to be part of a customer facing technology team helping to ensure the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a leading technology organization?
If you fit the description, you might be the person we are looking for! We are a group of smart people, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class support is critical to customer success.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A LIFE AT AWS?
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job while you:
- Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
- Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers’ individual needs.
- Interact with leading engineers around the world.
- Partner with Amazon Web Services teams to help reproduce and resolve customer issues.
- Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services.
- Drive customer communication during critical events.
WHY AWS SUPPORT?
- First and foremost this is a customer support role – in The Cloud.
- On a typical day, a Support Engineer will be primarily responsible for solving customer’s cases through a variety of customer contact channels which include telephone, email, and web/live chat. You will apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide tailored solutions for our customers and drive customer interactions by thoughtfully working with customers to dive deep into the root cause of an issue.
- Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
- Career development: We promote advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals.
- Training: We have training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role.
We hire smart people who are keen to build a career with AWS, so we are more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven’t been exposed to yet.
- As we operate on a follow-the-sun model, with Premium Support sites located globally, there is no after hours on-call or mandated overtime in this role.
- Meet Theodoros: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTPWdseB_pg
The Linux role supports our services that focus on compute technologies. In this role, you will support AWS Services including EC2, EBS, LightSail. and the services that enable customers to migrate their workloads to AWS. As well as supporting our customers, you will be leading operational improvement initiatives, an acting as the voice of the customer to internal teams across AWS.
- Virtual employees are required to have a minimum available bandwidth of 20MB Upload/20 MB Download.
- Basic troubleshooting to resolve straightforward Linux and network related technical problems.
- Troubleshoot basic connectivity problems across the different layers of the OSI model from the Linux stand point
- of view using tools like ping, traceroute, ifconfig, tcpdump, etc.
- Basic understanding of Networking fundamentals like CIDR notations, OSI model, HTTP/HTTPS, DNS, SSH, TCP, routing, switching, subnets, ACLs, NAT
- Perform basic networking administration tasks like being able to connect an individual PC to the network/internet and set FW rules.
- Basic understanding of applications such as Apache, NginX, MySQL, etc.
- Troubleshoot performance issues in a single domain using common OS tools such as top, sar and free.
- Basic understanding of process lifecycle and signals
- Basic understanding of 3-tier web application and a general idea of which components are stateful and which ones are stateless.
- Basic understanding of shell concepts such as variables, aliases, redirection and shell expansion.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity and Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Company – Amazon Dev Centre South Africa
Job ID: A1558586