The Data Center Engineering Operations Technician (EOT) is responsible for delivery of best practice systems and problem resolution on all data center electrical and mechanical infrastructure (UPS, MV electrical systems, generators, cooling systems etc.) within the data center environment in a specific location. The role requires a highly driven, self-managed individual who demonstrates initiative and proactively seeks solutions to complex technical problems. This position requires frequent site interventions, critical switching activities, along with troubleshooting and fixing infrastructure issues. The role would suit someone who enjoys working in a ‘hands on’ capacity on Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) infrastructure such as diesel generators, switchgear, UPS’s, PDU’s, AHU’s, fire detection systems and building automation systems. You will report to the Data Center Engineering Operations Manager.
AWS Data Centers
AWS pioneered cloud computing in 2006, creating cloud infrastructure that allows customers build securely and innovate faster. We continuously innovates the designs and systems within our Data Centers to protect them from man-made and natural risks. As a result, Amazon data centers are large-scale high-density centers where you will work on changing the face of Cloud Technology in the region.
People and Culture
To succeed in AWS, people must be self-motivated, highly technically-minded and intent on delivering world-class results. You will put the customer first in everything you do and build trust and communicate effectively with people at all levels of the business. Our team culture is collaborative; it is designed to empower and enable to you to succeed. We take pride in the diversity that is achieved by the global talent within the company. We promote and develop a strong safety culture.
The Successful Candidate Will Be Accountable For
- Setting and maintaining the highest standards for safety and actively promoting a world-class safety culture in all aspects of operational procedure
- Driving continuous improvement efforts on infrastructure through standardization of procedures and policies, while delivering performance against agreed metrics
- Enabling the operations organization to delivering 100% up-time on all customer supporting infrastructure
- Collaborating effectively with internal & external stakeholders to deliver operational excellence for all AWS customers
- Responsible for ensuring that the preventive maintenance of site-critical facility infrastructure is planned and executed to the highest standards, in accordance to AWS procedures
- In charge of facility monitoring & supervision (via BMS, PMS, Walkthrough…etc.)
- Participation in the successful delivery of build-out and retrofit of Data Center infrastructure
- Ensuring organizational capability to react & respond appropriately to any potential customer-impacting event on any component of electrical or mechanical infrastructure.
- Reviewing incident reports, documenting periodic trend summaries, and providing updates and recommended actions to management
- Draft, update & maintain method statements, standard operating procedures, emergency response procedures, preventive maintenance programs, and all technical documentation pertaining to DCEO.
Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and broader based Black Economic Empowerment and the further diversification of ideas. The relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity and Black Economic Empowerment will be considered when appointing potential candidates.
Good verbal and written English communication skills
- Apprentice/trades certified or diploma in an Electrical field
- Demonstrate key electrical competencies (Practice & Theory)
- Knowledge of mechanical systems (Mechanical, HVAC systems, Controls)
- Ability to draft accurate support procedures in English, system documentation, and issue tracking entries
- Ability to take full ownership of technical issues
- Willing to travel between Data center sites, and internationally if required
- Solid IT skills; experience and knowledge of MS Office suite.
- 3+ years of experience in operations and on-call support for Data Center facilities / or Mission Critical Plants/ Production facilities
- An undergraduate degree in a technical field (EE, MechE, IndustrialE);
- Project Management experience Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to work a full 12hr shift, rotating between working days and nights, as per the prescribed company shift pattern.
- Work at heights and from ladders. . Be comfortable operating a mobile elevated working platform (MEWP).
- Perform physical tasks during the shift.
- Work in a noisy environment with ear protection.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Company – Amzn Data Servcs SA (Pty) Ltd
Job ID: A2219867